

We've spent endless hours teaching, talking, and guiding our kids on making the "right choices" and becoming independent. Now, Ryan is about to venture out and I'm not certain how to process all of it. Kevin and I have loved the stage of teenagers... but this stage - of the kids "leaving our nest"... I'm not too sure about.
Several years ago Ryan traveled with a missions team from our church to the Philippines. Upon his return, Ryan informed us that all Christians are called to missions - either "To Go" or "To Send". After months of seeking God, Ryan realized that his calling was "To Send" long term missionaries and "To Go" on short term missions himself. So his life goal is to eventually launch his own business (probably in 10 years). He wants a business to generate income to help finance missions/ministry. He's only 21 but is already taking great strides towards these goals. He views this time of working with other companies in management, to be his training/education for the future.
For the next 6 weeks Staples will be putting Ryan up in Toronto, at a hotel. He will complete his management training in that time and then he'll be given his permanent store posting. Each story has 4 manager levels. They've indicated that he has favor within the company and should be "climbing the ladder" very quickly!! So all of this is great news - right!?
The way I look at it is, I have two choices.
ONE - I can be all down about my baby leaving home... OR
TWO - I can have some fun and redo his room - Take It Over!!
So, bring on the measuring tape, get the rollers ready... I haven't lost a son... I've gained a room!!
8 comments:
Shari...if Ryan's like you and me he'll leave a ton of stuff in 'his' room for years! Doesn't Mom still have some our treasures?:)
Shari
Great attitude with this next phase...I hope I can be as positive when my time comes...why can't we keep them safe forever???
I guess that would get pretty old too though...sigh,
We don't think of this part when we anticipate these tiny helpless bundles that steal our hearts forever.
Bless you all in this new phase....
Decrease in grocery bills is another plus I am thinking.
Roxanne, Mom may still have some of my stuff still BUT it's because SHE doesn't want to part with the "treasures" - not me.My motto is "when in doubt - pitch it out"!!!!!
Jen, less groceries is a plus.. one less person taking a 20 minute shower.. one less love bird dominating the phone.. one less car in the driveway. Honestly I really miss him but it's time to spread his wings.
He's been renting a place in Peter-patch with the guys and going there on weekends. As of last week they hadn't turned on the heat yet.. didn't want to spend the "extra cash". It's interesting to see how careful they are when they are playing the bill. LOL
Loved your attitude, when our Jen left the nest, we changed her room into a wonderful study for my Fred and I, bring on the quite time for us! but it doesnt help the two little one have decided that is the best place to be when mom and dad are in there so 1 out 2 to go. lol
Argh....I am all ready having a hard time thinking about my eldest turning 13 in February! I hope God will be faithful to me to prepare me for the day that our kids "spread their wings" so that I can let them go with my blessing (and maybe just a few tears)!
“I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5
Post a Comment