Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rice


This is VERY simple but gives your rice SO MUCH flavor.

Choose whatever kind of rice your family enjoys. Follow the cooking instructions EXCEPT replace the water/liquid with chicken broth (I use the tetras box type) IN ADDITION - also add one clove of minced garlic for every four servings, and add a Tbsp. of wine for every four servings. The following is an example of how I would make minute rice.

Ingredients
2 cups of minute rice
2 cups of chicken broth
2 tsp. of butter1/2 tsp. of salt
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 tbsp. of wine (preferably white)

Instructions
1. Bring broth, butter, salt, and garlic to a boil.
2. Stir in wine and rice. Cover. Turn off heat.
3. Let stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
Note: I will also often keep the liquid from steamed veggies and add later use this as part of my liquid to make rice… this adds a lot of flavor and vitamins.

10 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the tip. I've done it with the chicken broth instead of water, but not added garlic or wine. That would be even more flavourful.

Amy said...

wine eh? hmm....I use broth for almost everything, and garlic is my best friend..but I've never used wine.  Sometimes I add in sesame oil for an added twist...I will def. try the wine when we have a bottle open...Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved your rice... you are a great cook.
I'll bet its hard not to cook huge quantities right now huh?
I always cook too much rice and pasta.... for 24 years now.......

Vicki said...

Yum ... gotta try this soon. My family will thank you!

Shari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shari said...

Girls if you really like garlic add more - same with the wine or change it up and add some balsamic vinegar. I use wine or sherry in most of my sauces.

I'm with you on the sesame oil, Amy...just a drop adds SO MUCH flavour.

Cheryl - When Ryan left I found a huge difference as he would take left overs for his lunch the following day and also have extra friends come over. Left overs go on for EVER - and Kev doesn't care for many left overs.

I've cooked only one meal since Kevin left for the Philippines... there are some advantages to this being on your own.

I am aiming for Roxanne's menu - cereal and milk for supper - YUM!!

Williams Family Blog said...

Thanks Shari. Your rice always turns out so well. Maybe this will entice my kids into enjoying rice.

Tammy said...

Sounds yummy... I got to go get me some wine!!!!!!! I love garlic too, never thought about putting it in rice. Interesting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thats a great recipe and since you only use a little of the wine the cook can have the rest well cooking the rest of the dinner. I like the way you cook.

Tamatha said...

mmmmmmmm.....yummmy!