Sunday, January 25, 2009

Growing Potential



When my house is overflowing with teenagers and as a result my groceries seem to be evaporating... I remind myself how blessed I am.

While raising Ryan we would marvel at the quality of kids he would bring home... and then with Amanda again we love having her friends come over. Derek has scores of friends coming to hang out... all seem to fit right in with our family. Now we're in the phase of having my sister's kids bring their friends into our home.

Where do all these fantastic kids come from? The conclusion I've come to is this - most teens are great people just waiting for someone to see their potential. A little affirmation grows a ton of confidence! I love to watch things grow - especially people!

Proverbs 18:21 (The Message)
Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.

2 comments:

Jen said...

You are so right Shari.
I went to lunch with the EAs from my school today, we spoke of this very thing. Our principal says it well, "90% of the kids are great 90% of the time".
I have seen something good in even the toughest of the tough kids and try to focus on that when they are making stupid choices.
Speaking life, no matter the setting or situation is unbelievably key.

Vicki said...

You speak the truth, Shari! We have also noticed a shift in our home ... it is very often filled with giggling girls. What a joy!