Thursday, November 12, 2009

Potato Lemon Dill Chowder

I took Amanda to a doctor's appointment today. While sitting in the waiting room I came across this recipe.... okay almost this recipe... with a few of Shari's little extra's in it. I found this simple to make, tasty and a nice change from my usual soups. The lemon zest stands out... if you're not a lemon lover you may want to omit the zest. I'm a lemon lover so for me the zest gave the soup some sparkle. Yummy!!

Potato Lemon Dill Chowder
5 strips of bacon
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 minced onion
2 stalks of celery finely diced
3 or 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes cut in apx 1 inch cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 Tbsp of lemon zest
2 tsp of fresh dill

In a large pot cook bacon till crisp.
Set bacon aside on a paper towel.
Leave the bacon drippings in the pot and add - celery, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
Add some of the chicken stock to pot to deglaze the bacon drippings.
Then add potatoes and the rest of the chicken stock.
Bring to boil and simmer for about 20 mins.
I use a hand blender in the pot to puree the soup.
After the soup is smooth add lemon zest, whipping cream and dill.
Serve and sprinkle some bacon bits and green onion on top.
Note: If your potatoes are new don't bother peeling - just scrub and cube them - keeping more of the nutrients.
This soup would be wonderful with shrimp or fish added to it.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds very similar to the corn chowder I grew up on...minus the lemon and adding corn niblets.
Maybe corn chowder is what I should be making to beef up my boys.
It's also very close to my seafood chowder...clams would be great.

Shaun and Holly said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! I must try this!

Juls said...

This sounds very yummy! I must try it!! Thaks for sharing.

Tamatha said...

ok...now I am hungry and it is 10:36 at night...and I already have something else to make for supper tomorrow night! ugh! Guess I will have to try this one out another day! Glad you shared it!