
Seventeen Years Ago Today
Kevin had was living with his parents in order to start working at the a church in the beautiful city. I was still in our former community as it would be 3 months before our house was sold. In the mean time Ryan continued in JK and I remained on staff at the church to complete our major Kid's midweek program. I was still on staff as the Children's Pastor. I was very pregnant with our third child - living several hours away was my husband.
The previous night I had run the weekly program with over 60 kids in it - one more week till it was completed - and two more weeks till our baby was due to be born. I went to bed that night asking God if our baby could PLEASE be born tomorrow - I had decided it would be great timing with every one's schedule.
The next morning I wake up with no heartburn - meaning the baby had dropped - so I decided it was time to get this show on the road. I walked Ryan to school and with Amanda in the stroller headed to Zellers to buy my new nightie for the hospital - that I would need later that day. All morning while Ryan was in school I pushed that stroller and walked as fast as my VERY pregnant body could go. Walking and gravity began to do their job by the time we all got home for lunch labour was well underway.
I called Kevin and he arrived 2 hours later. We dropped the kids off with some dear friends Dennis and Sharon... and headed to the hospital. By 5:35 that evening I was holding our baby boy. Derek weighed in at 10 lbs. 1 oz... thank God he was early. He was so big and healthy, and beautiful. I still remember that evening watching as Amanda (16 months old) squeezing her new baby brother and Ryan (4) gazing at Derek with pride in his eyes.
We all have our labor and birthing stories... I wonder how anyone who has seen the miracle of birth can question God's existence. Thank you God for Derek and the miracle of giving life.
Happy Birthday Derek. You are sunshine in our home - bring laughter to our belly's, and endless love in our hearts. I bless the gifts God has given you. May I as your parent never suppress who you are. I ask that God will grant me the courage and wisdom to never place limits on you BUT rather to bless and release you into the fulfillment of your personal and unique destiny. No LIMITS!!
11 comments:
Happy Birthday Derek!!!!!
blessings to you......
Happy Birthday Derek!
Happy Birthday Derek!!
Great story! (can't believe you'd do 16 months apart...AHHHHH!!) Love that you "decided" the day along with God..kind of like me.
I have heard of siblings with 17 years in between?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Derek! We have enjoyed having you in our home, be a friend to our son and to our family. We have enjoyed having you a part of our team for many years. We love you!!
Happy 'anniversary of your son's birth' to you Shari. What a great way to welcome your son into the world.
Happy Birthday Derek! From your fav Aunt! LOL
Roxanne--are you his only aunt?
Ouch Amy - that one we aimed right below the belt for Roxanne. lol
My siblings all have a fantastic sense of humor and love to tease. From the time our kids answer the phone each of my brothers would say... "it's your favorite Uncle calling"... then of course the kids had the job of figure out and properly name which of my three brothers were on the phone. As little ones the kids all loved this game.
Amy - We've planned NOT to have any more children at this stage of our lives. However anything is possible. My Mom was married and had my brothers - Kevin and Rodney and myself WHEN her parents announced they were having another baby. My Uncle Todd was the grade behind me in school. As a child my uncle was one of my playmates!! My grandmother was 42 when she had Todd.
p.s. Amy - The space between Amanda and Derek was sooner than we'd planned. Derek will proudly tell us that he's great promotion material for missions... as he's the result of Kevin's homecoming from his first missions trip. Derek thinks this is the greatest things ever!!
It's late but Happy Birthday Derek.
I loved the way you celebrated Gods gift to you and Kevin though words.
Thankyou for sharing.
Happy Birthday Derek.
Matt enjoyed calling Derek on his birthday and chatting with him.
Sending blessings.
Thanks Shari! You just had to go and make me cry again! That's okay though, as I enjoy reading your posts.
Post a Comment