Saturday, March 15, 2008

Three Weeks Has It's Advantages

Kevin is back and life here is getting back to normal... well as "normal" as this abnormal family gets.

Most times when Kevin is out of the country or on a trip of some sort I take the opportunity to focus on exercise and diet. I generally am extremely focused and in doing so, make significant progress in this area. It's usually my opportunity to tone up for spring after my winter of sweets and comfort foods (I'm sure you're all to disciplined to share in my struggle).

Anyhow, this time a lost a tiny bit of weight and did very little toning/exercising. Life was crazy here - so I simply didn't have the energy to focus on yet one more thing... later I may write about my insane 3 weeks while Kevin was across the ocean.

When Kevin returns from his travels he is in a different world. Kev is usually observant; but after a trip he wouldn't notice if I dropped 10 lbs and 2 sizes... he's thrilled to be home but is VERY preoccupied with processing everything. Over the years I've just learned this is part of the journey/trip.

This was the longest we've every been apart in 23 years (22 days)... this is the least I've every lost or toned.... this is the FIRST time he's commented and noticed. He looks at me and says "wow, you've lost weight and toned".... it was hard but I actually kept a straight face and managed to say "thanks - ya - a bit."

Three weeks has it's advantage!!

7 comments:

Amy said...

lol..I like your comment...thanks, ya-abit! HA!! TOo funny.

Mike is away often. We (kind of) are used to it. He never notices anything when he returns.
One child could be missing---and he wouldn't notice.
(Okay, well, that's stretching it! lol) but it feels that way!! HA!

I'm only on year 11- so maybe in the next 30 things will change.
Or not.

Shari said...

I've learned not to take it personally - but in our early years wasn't that gracious!! With age I'm learning just to laugh over some of these things.. it is actually funny!!

Rhonda said...

That's awesome! Just when we think we have them figured out! (But, don't men say that they can never figure us out?)
Have fun getting reacquainted.

And....

Happy Birthday to Kevin!!!!!!

Vicki said...

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" .... true?

Shaun and Holly said...

Enjoy your time together!

Jen said...

Too funny..guys are really quite a hoot!

I don't even think Mark noticed the first 25lb loss from last winter...I am learning to do it for me and not him....other wise, I'd be a wreck!!!!
Great response for Kevin though..I am sure you are very happy to have him back...I always feel under less pressure, when we are here doing life together.

Shari said...

It's great to have Kev home - I had an extremely full plate while he was away. I am very independent but don't aspire to being a single parent.

I have a very high respect for single parents and women. The Sue's, Michelle's, Roxanne's, etc are doing an awesome job of not just surviving but thriving!!